PIRL Equipment and Services
Magnetic Resonance Imaging
Magnetic resonance imaging is ideal for longitudinal non-invasive preclinical high resolution imaging of soft tissues. Our MRI system includes a 7-tesla spectrometer incorporating Bruker AVANCE III electronics and the ParaVision software version 5.1 with customized integrated anesthesia and animal monitoring systems.
- High resolution imaging of soft tissues
- Quantification of tumor burden with and without contrast-enhancement
- Diffusion weighted imaging and diffusion tensor imaging
- Voxel-based morphometry
- MRI angiography
- Metabolic imaging: MR spectroscopy, CEST imaging
- Functional Imaging: BOLD MRI, DCE imaging
Bioluminescence and Fluorescence Imaging
The IVIS Lumina III In Vivo Imaging System is capable of longitudinal, non-invasive, quantitative fluorescent and bioluminescent optical imaging in animals and ex vivo samples.
- Equipped with up to 26 filter sets that can be used to image reporters that emit in the green to near-infrared range.
- Allows spectral un-mixing for increased signal-to-noise ratio, to separate co-localized probes and enhanced fluorescence sensitivity.
- With bioluminescence, the amount of light is proportional to the number of luciferase-labeled cells.
- Dynamic contrast enhancement.
- Typical applications include oncology and infectious diseases studies.
- For fluorescence imaging, activateable and targetable probes can be used.
The VisualSonics Vevo660 is capable of real-time, high-resolution ultrasound imaging.
- High resolution down to 30 μm.
- Allows the construction of 3D images.
- Image acquisition is up to 30 frames per second.
- Has an integrated anesthesia system.
The Faxitron 43855 X-Ray Imaging System, a shielded and easy to operate workstation, is capable of high contrast, high resolution X-ray imaging.
The Abaxis VetScan HM5 Hematology System is a fully automated, 5-part cell counter designed specifically for veterinary applications, offers a comprehensive 22-parameter complete blood count with cellular histograms in just minutes.
White Blood Counts:
Number and percentage of lymphocytes, monocytes, neutrophils, eosinophils and basophils.
Hemoglobin, red blood cell counts, hematocrit, mean corpuscular volume, red blood cell distribution width, mean corpuscular hemoglobin, mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration.
Platelets, mean platelet volume, platelet count, platelet distribution width.
Species: mouse, rat, rabbit, ferret, guinea pig, alpaca, llama, primates.
Sample: 50 ul of EDTA-treated whole or diluted blood.