Cancer Prevention and Control Program
The Cancer Prevention and Control (CPC) Program is the nexus for population sciences-focused research at Georgetown Lombardi. Its mission is to conduct innovative and impactful population sciences research across the translational continuum, from discovery to intervention to policy, to help alleviate the burden of cancer. A unique aspect of the CPC Program is its capacity to rapidly translate findings through the phases of this continuum within and across each of the Program’s scientific aims.
CPC appoints both full and associate members who address the cancer prevention-control needs of our catchment area through research focused on cancer risk factors and biomarkers, primary and secondary cancer prevention, and outcomes of cancer treatment and survivorship. Research in the catchment area is facilitated through community-based research sites, including the Capital Breast Care Center and the community-based Office of Minority Health and Health Disparities located in Southeast Washington, DC.
CPC Program members focus on three specific aims:
- Aim 1: Cancer risk factors and biomarkers. We investigate genomic, biologic and other risks associated with cancer occurrence and early detection.
- Aim 2: Primary and secondary cancer prevention. We develop and implement cancer prevention interventions and cancer screening to inform practices and policies that reduce cancer burdens.
- Aim 3: Outcomes of cancer treatment and survivorship. We conduct clinical, translational and policy-relevant research on ways to treat cancer and promote improved survivorship.
In addition, cross-cutting themes of genetic/genomic underpinnings of cancer risk and response (in collaboration with the Fisher Center) and cancer burdens and disparities are integrated within each of the aims.
The CPC Program is also home to an FDA-funded center for tobacco research, is an active contributor to many cancer center-wide initiatives, including cancer survivorship, and provides leadership to MedStar Georgetown University Hospital’s Smoking Treatment and Recovery (STAR) and Cancer Survivorship programs. Our educational efforts take place across Georgetown University, including the Master’s in Epidemiology and Tumor Biology graduate training programs. Additionally, the program organizes fellowship training in cancer control and prevention science.
- Lucile Adams-Campbell, PhD, Associate Director for Minority Health and Health Disparities, Professor, Oncology/GU
- Traci Bethea, PhD, Assistant Professor, Oncology/GU
- Jan Blancato, PhD, Professor, Oncology, Neurology/GU
- Simina Boca, PhD, Assistant Professor, Oncology, Biostatistics, Bioinformatics, & Biomathematics/GU
- Dejana Braithwaite, PhD, Associate Professor, Oncology/GU
- Young Chandler, DrPH, Assistant Professor, Oncology/GU
- Chiranjeev Dash, MBBS, PhD, MPH, Associate Professor, Oncology, Biostatistics, Bioinformatics, & Biomathematics/GU
- Alejandra Hurtado de Mendoza, PhD, Assistant Professor, Oncology/GU
- Radoslav Goldman, PhD, Professor, Oncology, Biochemistry & Molecular & Cellular Biology/GU
- Lawrence Gostin, JD, Professor, Law/GU
- Kristi Graves, PhD, Director of Cancer Survivorship Research, Associate Professor, Oncology/GU
- Jinani Jayasekera, PhD, Assistant Professor, Oncology/GU
- David Levy, PhD, Professor, Oncology/GU
- Christopher Loffredo, PhD, Program Leader, Professor, Oncology, Biostatistics, Bioinformatics & Biomathematics/GU
- Jeanne Mandelblatt, MD, MPH, Professor, Oncology, Medicine/GU
- Suzanne O’Neill, PhD, Director of Education and Training, Associate Professor, Oncology/GU
- Beth Peshkin, MS, Professor, Oncology/GU
- Arnold Potosky, PhD, Director of Health Services Research, Professor, Oncology/GU
- Habtom Ressom, PhD, Professor, Oncology/GU
- Marc Schwartz, PhD, Associate Director for Population Sciences, Professor, Oncology/GU
- Kathryn Taylor, PhD, Professor, Oncology/GU
- Kenneth Tercyak, PhD, Program Leader, Professor, Oncology, Pediatrics/GU
- Judy Wang, PhD, Associate Professor, Oncology/GU
- Yun-Ling Zheng, MD, PhD, MPH, Associate Professor, Oncology/GU