Breast Cancer Program
The primary mission of the Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center (LCCC) Breast Cancer (BC) Program is to improve outcomes for patients through a better understanding of the mechanisms underlying the development and progression of breast cancer and response to treatment. Members collaborate across three thematic areas to advance our portfolio of portfolio of high quality/high impact basic, translational, clinical and population-based research.
The BC Program includes 24 full members and nine associate members representing an interdisciplinary group of basic scientists, translational scientists and clinicians who are involved in studies ranging from preclinical models to treatment and outcomes. Program highlights include: an active breast cancer patient advocacy group; support for development of novel investigator-initiated clinical trials across the consortium with correlative studies; and outreach and research initiatives in the Black and Hispanic communities within our catchment areas.
Three specific aims define the scientific goals of the Breast Cancer Program and are achieved by the innovative and interdisciplinary mix of basic, translational, clinical, and population research:
- Aim 1: To advance understanding of the determinants of responsiveness to systemic therapies with a focus on endocrine and HER-2 directed therapies.
- Aim 2: To elucidate the effects of nutritional, environmental, and/or hereditary risk factors on breast cancer susceptibility in experimental models and humans.
- Aim 3: To explore the factors impacting malignant progression from preneoplasia through to metastatic disease.
- Clinical Trials
- Breast Health Services at Lombardi
- Capital Breast Care Center
- Celebremos la Vida
- Georgetown Breast Cancer Advocates (GBCA)
- Anna Barac, MD, PhD, Associate Professor, Medicine, Cardiology/GU, MGUH, MWHC
- Sonia De Assis, PhD, Assistant Professor, Oncology/GU
- Priscilla Furth, MD, Professor, Oncology, Medicine/GU
- Christopher Gallagher, MD, Attending Physician/Heme/Onc Division Chief, Medicine/MWHC
- Deena Graham, MD, JTCC
- Bassem Haddad, MD, Professor, Oncology, OB/GYN/GU
- Claudine Isaacs, MD, Professor, Medicine, Oncology/GU, MGUH
- Michael Johnson, PhD, Associate Professor, Oncology/GU
- Marc Lippman, MD, Program Leader, Professor, Oncology/GU, MGUH
- Olivier Loudig, PhD, Associate Professor, Research/JTCC, Oncology/GU
- Filipa Lynce, MD, Associate Professor, Medicine/GU, MGUH, MWHC
- MaryBeth Martin, PhD, Professor, Oncology, Dept. of Biochemistry and Molecular and Cellular Biology/GU
- Leslie Montgomery, MD, Professor, Surgery/JTCC
- Gray Pearson, PhD, Associate Professor, Oncology/GU
- Paula Pohlmann, MD, Associate Professor, Oncology/GU, MGUH
- Bill Rebeck, PhD, Professor, Neuroscience/GU
- Anna Tate Riegel, PhD, Professor, Oncology, Pharmacology & Physiology/GU
- Rebecca Riggins, PhD, Associate Professor, Oncology/GU
- Ayesha Shajahan-Haq, PhD, Assistant Professor, Oncology/GU
- Joyce Slingerland, MD, PhD, Program Leader, Professor, Oncology/GU
- Sandra Swain, MD, Professor, Medicine/GU
- Eleni Tousimis, MD, Professor, Surgery, GU, MGUH
- Robert Warren, MD, Professor, Medicine, Oncology/GU, MGUH
- Shawna Willey, MD, Professor, Surgery/GU, MGUH