The primary mission of the Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center (LCCC) Breast Cancer (BC) Program is to improve outcomes for patients through a better understanding of the mechanisms underlying the development and progression of breast cancer and response to treatment. Members collaborate across three thematic areas to advance our portfolio of portfolio of high quality/high impact basic, translational, clinical and population-based research.
The BC Program comprises 25 full members and 11 associate members representing an interdisciplinary group of basic scientists, translational scientists and clinicians who are involved in studies ranging from preclinical models to treatment and outcomes. Program highlights include: an active breast cancer patient advocacy group; support for development of novel investigator-initiated clinical trials across the consortium with correlative studies; and outreach and research initiatives in the Black and Hispanic communities within our catchment areas.
Three specific aims define the scientific goals of the Breast Cancer Program and are achieved by the innovative and interdisciplinary mix of basic, translational, clinical, and population research:
- Aim 1: To advance understanding of the determinants of responsiveness to systemic therapies with a focus on endocrine and HER-2 directed therapies.
- Aim 2: To elucidate the effects of nutritional, environmental, and/or hereditary risk factors on breast cancer susceptibility in experimental models and humans.
- Aim 3: To explore the factors impacting malignant progression from preneoplasia through to metastatic disease.
- Clinical Trials
- Breast Health Services at Lombardi
- Capital Breast Care Center
- Celebremos la Vida
- Georgetown Breast Cancer Advocates (GBCA)
- Anna Barac, MD, PhD, Associate Professor, Medicine, Cardiology/GU, MGUH, MWHC
- Luciane Cavalli, PhD, Assistant Professor, Oncology/GU
- Robert Clarke, PhD, DSc, Program Leader, Professor, Oncology, Pharmacology & Physiology/GU
- Sonia De Assis, PhD, Assistant Professor, Oncology/GU
- Priscilla Furth, MD, Professor, Oncology, Medicine/GU
- Christopher Gallagher, MD, Attending Physician/Heme/Onc Division Chief, Medicine/MWHC
- Bassem Haddad, MD, Associate Professor, Oncology, OB/GYN/GU
- Leena Hilakivi-Clarke, PhD, Professor, Oncology/GU
- Claudine Isaacs, MD, Program Leader, Professor, Medicine, Oncology/GU, MGUH
- Michael Johnson, PhD, Associate Professor, Oncology/GU
- Olivier Loudig, PhD, Assistant Professor, Research/JTCC, Oncology/GU
- Filipa Lynce, MD, Assistant Professor, Oncology/GU, MGUH, MWHC
- MaryBeth Martin, PhD, Professor, Oncology, Dept. of Biochemistry and Molecular and Cellular Biology /GU
- Jean Mitchell, PhD, Professor, Public Policy/GU
- Leslie Montgomery, MD, Professor, Surgery/JTCC
- Suzanne O'Neill, PhD, Associate Professor, Oncology/GU
- Gray Pearson, PhD, Associate Professor, Oncology/GU
- Paula Pohlmann, MD, Assistant Professor, Oncology/GU, MGUH
- Anna Tate Riegel, PhD, Professor, Oncology, Pharmacology & Physiology/GU
- Rebecca Riggins, PhD, Associate Professor, Oncology/GU
- Ayesha Shajahan-Haq, PhD, Assistant Professor, Oncology/GU
- Sandra Swain, MD, Professor, Oncology/GU
- Eleni Tousimis, MD, Associate Professor, Surgery, GU, MGUH
- Robert Warren, MD, Professor, Medicine, Oncology/GU, MGUH
- Shawna Willey, MD, Professor, Surgery/GU, MGUH