About Our Expertise
Whether you are in need of breast cancer screening, a consultation with a breast surgeon, genetic testing or interested in breast health, Georgetown Lombardi is committed to connecting you to our breast health services and research. We are dedicated to providing the best professional care, delivered with compassion, for all patients and to provide you with the most current breast health information and resources. Along with cutting-edge cancer care, we offer a program of innovative clinical trials and a full range of supportive care services to improve our patients' health and quality of life.
About Breast Cancer
Current information about breast cancer (Breast Cancer Treatment, Male Breast Cancer, Breast Cancer and Pregnancy, Inflammatory Breast Cancer), incidence and survival statistics, treatment options, causes and prevention, coping strategies, clinical trials, and research, are available online from the National Cancer Institute at the National Institutes of Health.
What We Offer
Breast Health Services
- Betty Lou Ourisman Breast Health Center offers physical examination and imaging services by health care professionals who exclusively subspecialize in the breast. Devoted solely to breast health care, these doctors, nurses and technologists — working within steps of each other — provide seamless, confident and accurate medical management of their patients.
- Capital Breast Care Center provides navigation and access to culturally sensitive breast cancer screening services, and health and wellness education guided by evidence-based practices to all women in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area, regardless of their ability to pay. Located in southeast D.C.
- Clinical Breast Program is a dedicated team of medical professionals, including fellowship-trained surgeons, medical oncologists, radiologists, radiation oncologists, plastic surgeons and clinical cancer geneticists. Together, they develop personalized care plans with patients.
- Fisher Center for Hereditary Cancer and Clinical Genomics Research provides clinical genetic counseling and testing for individuals with a personal or family history of cancer.
- Breast Cancer Screening and Prevention
- Patient and Family Resources
- Clinical Trials are offered through MedStar Georgetown University Hospital and the MedStar Health network.
- Faculty Experts at Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center are dedicated to providing the best professional care, delivered with compassion, for all.
- Research Advocacy provided by Georgetown Breast Cancer Advocates (GBCA): Breast cancer advocates and survivors, working together with researchers, clinicians and other stakeholders, ensure that research is patient-centered, innovative, evidence-based and accessible.
Georgetown Lombardi's world-renowned research faculty are discovering cancer risk factors, designing effective prevention strategies, and learning how to detect cancers earlier. They are developing and testing the cancer treatments of tomorrow — targeted therapies that will improve both survival and quality of life. They are making progress toward the ultimate goal: to eradicate cancer.