Grief and Bereavement
Information from the American Association of Retired Persons on grief, common reactions, and coping strategies.
The Association for Death Education and Counseling is a multi-disciplinary professional organization dedicated to promoting excellence in death education, bereavement counseling, and care of the dying.
Provides counseling at locations around the DC Metro area and referrals, weekly support groups, bereavement lecture series, and more to individuals grieving the loss of a loved one.
Tom Golden, a licensed clinical social worker from Washington, DC, and author of multiple books on the subject of grief and loss, curates a website presenting articles, links, discussions, and workshop information.
The W Connection is a national nonprofit of widows helping widows rebuild their lives after the life-changing event of losing a spouse.
Created for and by widows and widowers, WidowNet provides useful information for the grieving. Topics covered include grief, bereavement, recovery, and other information helpful to people, of all ages, religious backgrounds and sexual orientations, who have suffered the death of a spouse or life partner
The Wendt Center for Loss and Healing is a nonsectarian, nonprofit organization offering guidance, information, and support for people living with illness, loss, and bereavement. The center counsels and supports adults, children, and families, Located right here in DC, the center provides support groups and resources valuable in coping with the impact of cancer.
- Cushenbery, Donald C. and Rita C. Coping with Life after Your Mate Dies. Baker Books; July 1997, 112 pages.
- Fumia, Molly, Safe Passage: Words to Help the Grieving Hold Fast and Let Go. Conari Press; August 1992,, 288 pages.
- Golden, Thomas R. Stewarding Children’s Grief/Helping Families Heal Together. An excerpt from Swallowed by a Snake, available at www.webhealing.com/3col995.html.
- Golden, Thomas R. Swallowed by a Snake: The Gift of the Masculine Side of Healing. Golden Healing Publishing, LLC; February 2000, 165 pages.
- Harris Ph.D., Maxine The Loss That Is Forever: The Lifelong Impact of the Early Death of a Mother or Father. E.P. Dutton; September 1995, 342 pages.
- James, John W. and Friedman, Russell. The Grief Recovery Handbook – the Action Program For Moving Beyond Death, Divorce, and Other Losses. HarperTrade; June 1998, 173 pages.
- Staudacher, Carol. Beyond Grief: A Guide for Recovering from the Death of a Loved One. New Harbinger Publications; April 1987, 264 pages.
- Staudacher, Carol. Men and Grief: A Guide for Men Surviving the Death of a Loved One: A Resource for Caregivers and Mental Health Professionals. New Harbinger Publications; May 1991, 225 pages.
- Wiersbe, Warren W. & David Wiersbe. Comforting the Bereaved. Moody Press: September 1985, 150 pages.
- Zonnebelt-Smeenge, Susan, DeVries, Robert, DeVries, Bob. Getting to the Other Side of Grief: Overcoming the Loss of a Spouse. Baker Book House; January 1999, 208 pages.