The primary mission of the Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center (LCCC) Breast Cancer Program (BC) is to support its members in integrating and expanding high quality/high impact basic, translational, clinical, and population based research in breast cancer. Members collaborate across three thematic areas to advance their research, with the ultimate goal of preventing and curing this disease.
The BC Program comprises 23 full members and 10 associate members representing an interdisciplinary group of basic scientists, translational scientists and clinicians who are involved in studies ranging from preclinical models to breast cancer treatment and outcomes. The Program also includes: an active breast cancer patient advocacy group; support for development of novel investigator-initiated clinical trials across MedStar Georgetown University Hospital and MedStar Washington Hospital Center; and outreach and research initiatives among minority communities within our catchment area.
The scientific goals of the BC Program are achieved by the innovative and interdisciplinary mix of basic, translational, clinical, and population research that occurs across three broad thematic areas of breast cancer research.
- Theme 1: To advance understanding of the cellular and molecular determinants of responsiveness to endocrine therapies in breast cancer in both preclinical models and clinical trials with the ultimate goal of breast cancer prevention and cure.
- Theme 2: To elucidate the effects of nutritional, environmental, and/or genetic risk factors on breast cancer susceptibility in experimental models and humans.
- Theme 3: To explore the clinical, therapeutic, molecular, and social factors impacting the treatment and progression of breast cancer.
- Clinical Trials
- Breast Health Services at Lombardi
- Capital Breast Care Center
- Celebremos la Vida
- Georgetown Breast Cancer Advocates (GBCA)
The Breast Cancer Program members are as follows:
Anna Barac, MD, PhD
Marc Boisvert, MD
Luciane Cavalli, PhD
Robert Clarke, PhD, DSc (Program Leader)
Tushar Deb, PhD
Charlotte Dillis, MD
Priscilla Furth, MD
Robert Glazer, PhD (Steering Committee)
Bassem Haddad, MD
Pia Herbolsheimer, MD, PhD (Steering Committee)
Leena Hilakivi-Clarke, PhD
Claudine Isaacs, MD (Program Leader)
Michael Johnson, PhD
Filipa Lynce, MD
Mary Beth Martin, PhD
Maria Nunes, PhD
Suzanne O'Neill, PhD
Bridget Oppong, MD
Paula Pohlmann, MD
Anna Tate Riegel, PhD
Rebecca Riggins, PhD (Steering Committee Chair)
Eliot Rosen, MD, PhD
Ayesha Shajahan-Haq, PhD (Steering Committee)
Vanessa Sheppard, PhD
Mary Sidawy, MD
Sandra Swain, MD
Eleni Tousimis, MD
Geeta Upadhyay, PhD
Hongkun Wang, PhD
Robert Warren, MD
Shawna Willey, MD
Ronit Yarden, PhD (Steering Committee)