Generously sponsored by our Presenting Partners
Please join us for the Ruesch Center’s upcoming three-part symposium, titled "Fighting a Smarter War on Cancer," to be held December 6 and 7, 2013.
The symposium is open to the public and attendees are invited to join us for one or both days.
Friday, December 6
* Part 1- Hepatocellular Carcinoma (HCC): Specialized Sessions
Registration: opens at 7:30 am
Sessions: 8:00 am-12:00 pm
Lunch to follow
Registration fee: $50. Free for Georgetown University and MedStar Health employees and trainees.
* Part 2- Molecular Profiling in Cancer: Research or Practice? Main Event
Registration: opens at 12:30 pm
Symposium: 1:00 pm- 5:00 pm
Registration Fee: $50 (no additional cost if already paid for the HCC Special Sessions). Free for Georgetown University and MedStar Health employees and trainees.
* CME available.
Who should attend
Researchers, clinicians, health care policy makers, pharmaceutical industry, patient advocates and patients interested in the scientific, regulatory and policy side of clinical research.
- Recognize the need for early diagnosis and treatment for HCC I order to enhance curability and be able to apply appropriate therapy for different stages of the disease.
- Define the theory behind and the available methodology of gene and protein (molecular) testing and how it has progressed and is currently applied directly to the individualization of patient care.
- Discuss the potential and the importance of molecular testing/profiling.
- Discuss the potential and the importance of molecular analysis-, biomarker- and target-driven treatment for pancreas cancer. Analyze all treatment innovations and the steps to take to promote innovative treatments for pancreas cancer by way of clinical research.
This conference is intended for Medical oncologists, surgical oncologists, radiation oncologists, gastroenterologists, community oncologists, medical students, fellows, other interested medical staff and scientists, and other stakeholders in cancer medicine
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the Essential Areas and Policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint sponsorship of MedStar Washington Hospital Center and the Ruesch Center at Lombardi CCC. MedStar Washington Hospital Center is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
MedStar Washington Hospital Center designates this live activity for a maximum of 7 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits TM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Saturday, December 7
Part 3- Patient Symposium
Registration: opens at 9:30 am
Symposium: 10:00 am- 3:00 pm
Registration Fee: $25**. FREE for Georgetown University and MedStar Health employees and trainees.
**All are welcome, regardless of ability to pay registration fee
Who should attend
Patients, former patients, patient family members, patient advocates and anyone interested in learning more about molecular profiling in cancer treatment, techniques for coping with cancer and other various topics related to the personal life of patients and caregivers alike.
Registration: 2013 Ruesch Symposium
Georgetown University Hotel & Conference Center
3800 Reservoir Road, NW
Washington, DC 20007
Complimentary parking available
Part of Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center, the mission of the Otto J. Ruesch Center for the Cure of Gastrointestinal Cancers is to integrate discoveries in molecular medicine and translational research with a patient-centered philosophy to transform the standard of care for patients with gastrointestinal cancers.
Will YOU help fight GI Cancer?
Gifts to the Ruesch Center are invited and appreciated. Please consider making a tax-deductible donation of $100 (suggested). Please contact the Lombardi Gift Line at (202) 687-2222 or give online through Georgetown Lombardi's secure giving portal.